Trying to stop your barking dog can be frustrating. A constantly barking dog can drive you and your neighbours crazy. Dogs do not need to be barking to be happy. If your dog is content and relaxed, he will not bark! A barking dog indicates that the dog could be stressed, frustrated, anxious or over excited.
Barking Dogs At Home Alone
Dogs who bark when you are not home is a very common issue. The worst part is that you usually don’t know you have a problem until the neighbour or the dog control officer visits.
Stopping this type of barking needs an understanding of the cause. To do this you MUST see it through your dog’s eyes!
Understand the Cause
So, your dog is a pack animal and understands that there are leaders and followers. The pack leader protects the pack.
When everybody leaves the house and the dog is home alone, the dog become stressed. When they are stressed, they start barking. They are calling for you to return. They just are trying to do their job.
The way that you can begin to see why they do this is to imagine you are a parent with a young 3-year-old child. One important parental job is to keep that child safe all the time. When they are safe you are relaxed. If they suddenly walk out and shut the front door locking you in you would chase after them.
What would you do if you couldn’t get out? You could phone for help but your dog doesn’t have that option! Shout for help? This is what your dog is doing. You wouldn’t relax and have a cup of tea, knowing your young child was wandering around the streets alone.
So, you can understand why your dog becomes stressed and starts barking when you leave.
Bad behaviors happen when you are not at home such as:
- chewing and destruction of all sorts of items,
- digging under the fence, digging the lawn, digging holes in the garden,
- jumping over the fence.
They are all actions of a stressed dog.
What’s the solution?
Giving them a bone to chew on whilst you are away is not the solution. This is a distraction that does not treat the cause of the problem (also includes toys stuffed with food). They treat the symptoms and only work for a short time.
The solution is actually very simple. If you are the pack leader in your dog’s eyes your dog will not think their job is to protect you. You will be able to come and go and they will be totally relaxed. This is the real solution – no tricks. Anyone can become the pack leader.
It is explained in Doggy Dan’s website – see it here CLICK HERE
Dan explains how to be the pack leader and stop dogs from barking when you leave them. There is even a $1 trial of the site that you can take advantage of right now if you need to be convinced.
These are additional tips that you can use in conjunction with becoming the pack leader that will help stop your dogs barking.
- Exercise–Get into the habit of exercising your dog before you leave him. If he is tired, he is more likely to relax.
- Find the best place to leave him: Try different areas – some dogs will relax more outside, others inside and some prefer smaller areas
- Full tummy and plenty of water: Your dog should be fed and warm before you leave. Always leave a full water bowl.
- Don’t leave bones lying around: Toys are OK.
- Music and TV: disguise street/neighbour noise by leaving music or TV on for your dog or the TV.
– these distractions can help
- Herbal remedies: doggie herbal products are available for relaxation – but again they do not really treat the cause of the issue, they simply help relax them, and can be expensive
- Dog walkers: Break up your dog’s day by a break in the middle of the day.
- Leave without excitement: Say goodbye 5 minutes before leaving to help them stay relaxed as you go
- Comfort jackets: There are jackets and shirts available that are designed to comfort them – however they are very expensive and possibly have limited success.
Unfortunately, getting another dog is not going to stop the problem. After all, many dogs who lie around the house doing nothing most of the weekend when the owners are at home are the same culprits who bark all day when the owners leave!
If you want to stop the barking immediately then take a look at Doggy Dan’s site and become the pack leader. Use your 3 Day $1 trial and take a look around this huge site
An entire section called “Separation Anxiety” is dedicated to stopping this sort of barking.
Your dog wants a strong pack leader (not more bones, or biscuits shoved into a ball).
So get started now, use the 3 Day $1 trial now, don’t hang around. The sooner you turn things around the sooner your neighbours will be thanking you for it!
Here’s a powerful video testimonial of a lady whose dog stopped barking using Doggy Dan’s method – CLICK HERE (video)